Sunday, June 17, 2012

Asana Of The Day

image from yogaasyouare.wordpress.com

Name: Downward Facing Dog (or Down Dog)


Sanskrit: Adho Mukha Svanasasana. Adho-Dog, Mukha-Face, Svanasana-Dog


What I've picked up about the pose: In Vinyasa and Ashtanga, you cannot escape it!  It's what the teachers call a "resting pose".  As a newbie, not so much...yet! More details on how to get into the pose are Here.  What gets me is how to distribute my weight. I usually put too much in my arms. But, my arms are getting stronger, and I am trying to learn to pull my hips back. It's an inversion so its good for you. For your body to be upside down instead of right side up, to get some circulation going another way.  This is a resting place, to get back to breathe between a vinyasa, pose, or anytime you need a break. It's a pose in progress I suppose. Somewhere I am always exploring, which isn't bad. :) 


What about you?  Have you done this pose? What is your relationship to it?  What is your knowledge about it? 


Namaste,


xoxo, ~Writer Yogi

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...